Auburn's Volunteer Fire Department stored their hooks and ladders and buckets in the local livery stable and other spots in town for many years before erecting this Fire House in 1888.
This Fire House, the first one built in Auburn, was built with the financial assistance of Frederick Birdsall, the owner of the Bear River and Auburn Water and Mining Company.
Birdsall used the upstairs of the Fire House for the Ditch Company's office. The building was constructed by members of the volunteer company. This Fire House was moved several blocks in 1973. It sat nearly derelict form many years before community efforts to restore it began in 2004.
The Placer County Contractors Association spearheaded the work. Over 8 years was spent in restoration and countless hours of volunteer work and materials were donated.
This property is on the National Register of Historic Places # 11000936.