In the 1930s the American Fruit Growers Association, commonly called Blue Goose, operated out of the Loomis fruit sheds for many years. Near the end of the 1930’s the Association decided to build a new fruit shed on Taylor Road between King Road and Webb Street in Loomis. It was named the Blue Goose and opened for operation in 1945. Peaches, plums and pears were brought in all summer long by local farmers.
The facility was built with some of the first really good cold storage in the region. Mechanical refrigeration was a new process in those days and used ammonia gas with compressors that created a refrigeration unit. That large capacity cooling unit continued to run for many, many years contributing to the success and viability of the fruit growers’ organization.
In May, 1961 the American Fruit Growers officially changed its name to the Blue Goose Growers, Inc. They were headquartered in Fullerton, CA and had organizations throughout California and Arizona. The district office was in Newcastle.
When the Blue Goose Growers decided to move all their operations to Newcastle, they sold the Loomis property to the California Fruit Exchange for $10,000 on January 16, 1967. This gave the Exchange additional cold storage space and general storage space. They moved some of their plum packing operation there. They also put in an optical sizer which was a new innovative method of sizing fruit.
Over the next three decades, the Blue Goose processed local fruit. By the end of the 1950’s orchards occupied every usable acre of land at this end of Placer County. Many local farmers brought their peaches, pears and plums here to be graded, packed and shipped nationwide.
The last use of the Blue Goose was by the Loomis Fruit Growers Association. Fruit was picked, sorted and packed on each ranch and then delivered to the Association dock to be cooled and compiled into rail car shipments. Later fruit was shipped in refrigerated trucks or air shipped to markets as far away as Hong Kong and Japan.