Bogus Thunder near historic Deadwood California
Photo © Bill Mash
Bogus Thunder gets its name from the thundering rapids and seasonal falls that were commonly mistaken for thunder by gold miners.
Deadwood was founded in 1852 when gold was found in the surrounding river canyons. In its heyday it had 500 people living there including gun maker Sam Colt. Deadwood was in a decline by 1855, although mining with moderate returns was carried on in the vicinity into the mid 1950s. All that remains are the well preserved cemetery and a few old wells.
1) Take Foresthill road to Deadwood Road. 2) Deadwood cemetery to Western States. 3) Western states to saddle access trail (left turn). 4) Up to the saddle is well marked. 5) At the saddle proceed down in a easterly direction to the claim. 6) From the claim go south to the River.
Detailed GPS data including a HD video of the area... http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=1126823
Be sure to watch the video on wikiloc for more history and in depth information on this magnificent location including candle blazes, bear scars and miner cairns.
Vertical Gain or Loss: +2000
Trail Distance: 6.0