The historic Eagleville Community Church building was constructed between 1887-1888. Dedicated in April of 1888, it is a classic 19th century country church and has remained basically unchanged for the last 123 years. It has become a landmark of Eagleville.
Today, the church stands proudly and with care will serve the small community of Eagleville for many years to come. Though not hosting weekly services, the building is available for weddings, baptisms and funerals by reservation.
In February of 1911, four victims of what has become known as the last Indian massacre in the United States were brought in from Little High Rock Canyon, Nevada and placed on the floor at the rear of the church. The blood stains are still visible, although carpet now covers them. At the time of the massacre Eagleville was a vibrant bustling cow town.
An account of the massacre appears in the Modoc County Historical Society Journal No. 25 which was published in 2003. It was written in a letter by Eagleville resident Mort West on April 16, 1934. Mr. West was a member of the original posse that retrieved the victims. The four victims were Eagleville cattle rancher Harry Cameron [Cambron], and French Basque sheep herders John Laxague, Peter Erramouspe and Bertrand Indiano, a camp tender. The four men had gone to check on their range livestock and came across the winter camp of Shoshone Mike and his band of Shoshone Indians which included a cave filled with frozen butchered cattle. The discovery by the Eagleville residents apparently precipitated their massacre.
There was an inquest in Eagleville and the murdered men were buried in the Eagleville Cemetery. The posse were celebrated guests of honor at banquets in Eagleville and Cedarville. Mr. West died in 1951. The massacre and the church bloodstains are part of this small and quiet community's history and lore.
By the year 2000 the church was no longer used for services and was in a serious state of deterioration and disrepair. The Eagleville Community Church Building Association was formed to repair and restore the church. Today, the church has a new foundation, cement steps, ramp and a restored bell tower. As money becomes available, the association plans other needed repairs and decoration.
Eagleville is located south of Cedarville and the church sits on the corner of Milton and County Road One. County Road One runs the length of Surprise Valley and continues on to Gerlach and Reno, Nevada.