Photo © Carol Russell
Reminiscent of the shrines found along the roadways in Italy, the Ferretti Shrine was built by Joseph Cavagnaro in 1884 for his neighbor, Guiseppe Ferretti, a pioneer in the Moccasin Creek area. The shrine built of rock still stands and the niche was intended to house a statue of St. Joseph. Statues have been replaced in the shrine from time to time when they have disappeared. The shrine is listed as both a County and State Historical Landmark.
Located within a mile of the intersection of Highways 120 and 49 at Moccasin, it can be reached by turning onto Moccasin Creek Road and following it to the culdesac terminous.
The shrine also marks where water was piped from the spring where travelers could stop to get water. The spring remains in the vicinity today.
Time Period Represented: Late 1800's
Hours Open: n/a
Visitor Fees: n/a
Seasons Open: n/a
Price Style for this Establishment: n/a