Fresno Flats was founded in 1856 as a farming town and supply center for lumber and mining. It is located in eastern Madera County, at the southern-most edge of the Mother Lode region.
In 1912, the name of the town was changed to Oakhurst. The Fresno Flats Historic Village and Park contains a museum built around two restored homes from the 1870s, the Fresno Flats Historical Research Library, and several restored buildings including one-room schools and a two 19th Century jailhouses. The museum and park are dedicated to preserving the memory of Oakhurst's origins.On May 14, 2002, the museum and the buildings were designated California Points of Historical Interest.
In 1997, the Grub Gulch Chatper 41-49 of E Clampus Vitus dedicated a marker memorialize the townsite. The marker reads,
"Fresno Flats was a farming and supply center for the mining and lumber industries. The local blacksmith was known throughout the area as the only one able to fabricate and repair large wheels. The oldest still-operating post office in Madera County opened here in 1874. Tired of hearing, 'Fresno Flats, that's where Charlie robbed the Yosemite Stage!', Mrs. C. Meyers circulated a petition among newcomers to change the name to Oakhurst. Without the knowledge or consent of the pioneer families it became Oakhurst in 1912. The disgruntled old timers nicknamed it 'Oh, cursed!' The Old Missouri Saloon is to the East and the blacksmith barn to the West."
The E Clampus Vitus monument is located on Road 425B off of Crane Valley Road in Oakhurst. The Fresno Flats Historic Village and Park is located at 49777 High School Road in Oakhurst, 16 miles south of Yosemite National Park on Highway 41 and 46 miles north of Fresno on Highway 41.
Natural sloughs and mud flats made the going tough, but Jedediah Smith, Kit Carson, and John C. Fremont, in different expeditions, all passed through Madera’s borders in the San Joaquin Valley. Madera County is also the site of the Fresno Indian Reservation, which was established during the 1850’s when the gold rush provoked resistance from numerous local tribes.