Located on the banks of Mammoth Creek, the Hayden Cabin is considered the local museum for Mammoth Lakes. The Hayden Cabin is a hand built log structure that was constructed between 1927-1937 and was made entirely from local materials. Margaret and Emmett Hayden leased the land it stands on from the National Forest. Emmett was an engineer and surveyor, but dreamed of being a hunting and fishing guide. Although it was a Forest Service summer cabin lease, Emmett and Margaret ran it as a hunting and fishing lodge.
This four room log cabin has many original furnishings that decorate the kitchen and living room. There are two rooms of the depression era Hayden Lodge, authentically decorated with original hand made furnishings, photos, maps, trophies, and other personal belongings. Emmett was a noted map maker. The Hayden Map Co. was the first commercial enterprise dedicated to making maps in the Eastern Sierra.
The museum also has a women's history display featuring Sybil Summers, Nan Zischank, and Roma McCoy. It also features the history of Mammoth Lakes, from the Gold Rush 1878-1881 through the 1940s. The Haydens spent summers in Mammoth, and winters in Glendale located in Southern California.
Seasons Open: Late May to September.
Hours Open: 10AM to 5:30PM
Fees: Donations are much appreciated
Access is available for those who park on the lawn and enter through the kitchen.
Connected to the Mammoth Lakes town bike trails. There is a geocache nearby.
Pets are welcome. Well behaved pets can be off leash.