Lakeside Park

This resort area was named Lakeside Park in the 1890s although the resort area was established in 1860. Steamer boats once used the wooden pier which extended into the lake from Lakeside Park Beach. The original marina to the south of the pier was built of wooden pylons as well. In 1909 Lakeside Park was subdivided by Katherine Hill to be sold as campsites and it now contains a mixture of private homes and hotels, some built to accommodate the many tourists expected for the 1960 Olympics. The Lakeside Marina and Lakeside Beach along with the Beach House Restaurant are key elements of the neighborhood at present day.

Read more


Latitude: 38.9587414 Longitude: -119.9475288 Elevation: 6244 ft
the best travel advice comes from the people who live here
andy engellhardt


In 1860, the Lakeside Park area was originally known as the Lapham Hotel and Landing which included a 12 room hotel and saloon, barn and horse change station for wagon trains. It was situated on the Pony Express route through the Lake Tahoe area. In 1873 Lapham borrowed $10,000 from Marion Hill using the property as collateral to build the Steamer Governor Stanford. Lapham leased the property which was then renamed Carney's Stateline House. When the hotel burned down and mortgage payments stopped, Marion Hill foreclosed. Her brother, Starvation Smith, rebuilt the resort naming it Lakeside House and the area was renamed Lakeside Park.

The Lakeside Park Hotel along with adjacent cottages and tents was established in 1892. On the beach was a long wharf which extended quite a distance into the lake so the steamer ships could dock there. The original wooden supports are still visible in the lake today. The owners thought Lakeside Park was in Nevada and that the state line ran through the dining room until 1899, when a new survey found the line was actually 2,000 feet to the north where it is today.

The area bounded by Stateline Blvd, Lakeshore Drive, Park Ave and Highway 50 (originally named the Lincoln Highway) was subdivided in the early 1900s and lots were sold as campsites for $75. It was the first area at Lake Tahoe to be sold in such a manner. One of the sales pitches used was that all but the last 60 miles of the road from San Francisco was paved.

A water company was formed by the property owners in the late 1930s which still supplies the area's water. Homes were built on the campsites throughout the 1940s, 50s and 60s. The 1960 Winter Olympics lead to development of hotels and motels close to Hwy 50.

There are several houses still standing and being used within Lakeside Park which were built in the late 1920s and 1930s. The marina today is in the same location as the small boat landing area of the 1860s and the remnants of the pier at which the Governor Stanford used to dock are still visible in the waters off Lakeside Beach.

Today a portion of this neighborhood is planned for the development of the new Convention Center.

Leave a Comment