In 1894, the community of Centerville constructed this schoolhouse to replace two previous schools. The school operated until 1966, when the schools in Butte County were unified into the local school district.
After the school was closed, the school was used as a community center. In 1971, the Centerville Recreation and Historical Association nominated the building for the National Register of Historic Places and added to the Register in 1972. The old schoolhouse is now the Colman Museum and features historic photos and artifacts from the surrounding area.
In addition to being on the National Register of Historic Places, the Centerville Schoolhouse is also registered as state Historic Point of Interest No. 575.
The Colman Museum/Centerville Schoolhouse is located at 13548 Centerville Road outside of Magalia.
Highlights of Butte County history include John Bidwell’s establishment of Rancho Chico and Bidwell Bar, and the discovery of Ishi, the last Yahi Indian. This county progressed swiftly from a collection of mining towns into a trendsetter for California agriculture.