The Old Schoolhouse Museum and Upside-Down House are operated by the Mono Basin Historical Society. Located in Lee Vining near the entrance to Yosemite National Park and next to Hess Park, one block east of Highway 395, the Old School House Museum displays both commonplace and delightfully odd artifacts, photographs, books, maps and equipment chronicling the cultural history of the Mono Basin. Outside exhibits feature Nellie Bly's legendary Upside-Down House, along with farming and mining equipment. Inside the museum see Native American artifacts, gold mining implements and the wheel of the Venita, the Tour Boat that operated on Mono Lake in the 1930s.
The Upside-Down House was created by Nellie Bly O'Bryan (1893–1984), visionary, entrepreneur and long time resident of the Mono Basin. Originally located along US-395 north of the Tioga Lodge, it was inspired by two children's stories—“Upside Down Land” and “The Upsidedownians.” Upon her death in 1984, the Upside-Down House fell into disrepair until it was rescued and moved to its current site in October 2000. The house became Mono County's first “man-made” tourist attraction in 1956.