About this Site
The community of Jackson has given more than 150 years of care to the pioneer Jackson City Cemetery and those who rest there. The graves amongst the old trees that grace the original burial hill reflect the peace and reverence bestowed by civic responsibility.
In 1854, the newly founded city of Jackson gave formal recognition to the public graveyard along Church Street. The Catholics too, about this time, chose an adjacent area to the north for a cemetery, as did the Chinese to the south and the Jews to the east. Next to come were the sculptors and artisans and the Marble and Granite Works to the west on Church Street.
At rest within these sacred grounds, as signs at the cemetery’s entrances indicate, “...rest many of the men and women who first saw the beauty and value of this land and chose to remain and build the Amador County we cherish today.” Among them are U.S. Senators, heroes of wars of two centuries, victims of mine disasters, statesmen, doctors, ranchers and others — our pioneers whom we reverentially honor in this cemetery.