Truckee Historical Haunted Walking Tour, October
Photo © Compliments of the Truckee Donner Historical Society, All Rights Reserved
Mysterious sightings, unusual happenings and historic tales come to life in Truckee’s Annual Historical Haunted Walking Tour every October. Tour guides skillfully combine stories and legends with interesting facts in this “adults only” tour that begins in 2011 with a complimentary glass of wine at Moody’s Bistro & Lounge and benefits two local non-profit organizations: Trails and Vistas and the Truckee Donner Historical Society.
Old timers will tell historic tales of the Wild West, ladies of nocturnal delight will sing a tune and entertaining characters will share titillating folklore along the nearly two hour walk. Covering Truckee's most historic sites, the tour will entertain guests from near and far with spooky legends and unsolved mysteries. Find out what loggers loved most about Jibboom, the first road built in the Truckee Basin. Learn how the Truckee Regulators administered justice years ago. Discover the never-told-before-story of the world's most famous Lilliputian in this old railroad town.
"Costumes were fantastic," "enjoyed every stop and entertainer," and "we can't wait until next year," commented past attendees. The Richardson House was a popular site on the 2010 tour. Built by a lumber baron for his wife in the late 1880s, the house featured a performance by Maggie Richardson's "ghost." Maggie, the first wife of the house, was tormented by her son's death, and her story, like each memorable performance along the guided tour, was captivating.
Featured haunts, orchestrated by Chelsea Walterscheid, President of the Truckee Donner Historical Society and Nancy Lopez, Executive Director of Trails and Vistas. The primary focus of the event is on the history of historic downtown Truckee. We walk throughout the corridor and introduce a new route each year helping locals and visitors further familiarize themselves with all the history this wonderful region has to offer. Several dozen volunteers donate countless hours to ensure the history of Truckee is enjoyed, preserved and treasured.
- This annual tour is for adults age 21 and older and begins at Moody's Bistro & Lounge, the Tour's Host Sponsor. Tickets cost $30 and include a complimentary glass of wine or non-alcoholic beverage.
- The walking tour will commence during the cool evening hours regardless of weather. Dress in warm clothing.
- Historical education along with haunted speculation focusing on specific locations along walking route including educational reference to historical milestones and spooky buildings of interest.
- A trained docent, in costume, guides small groups of 10-16 individuals along the 1.5 hour tour. At each location, characters in costume greet or even haunt participants.
- Individual flashlights are provided to all attendees for safety.
- The 2011 HHT will take place on Thursday, October 20 and Friday, October 21 (full moon). Tickets go on sale in mid August at truckeehistorytour.com.
Length of Walking Tour: Approximately 1-mile that last between 1.5 hours to 2 hours
All groups depart and later return to host sponsor, Moody's Bistro & Lounge.
All buildings confirmed for the 2011 tour are accessible, however some tours may lead to old basements or attics which are not fully ADA accessible.
Walking tour, no motorized vehicles used.