Altaville Schoolhouse is believed to be the oldest surviving school house in California. This one room schoolhouse was built in 1858 of local sun dried bricks. It is California State Historical Landmark Number 499.
The schoolhouse was in continuous use from 1858 to 1950. It has been carefully restored and sits on a beautiful site which appears much as it did in 1858. Located on Highway 49, near the intersection of Highway 4, there is a parking area, picnic benches and many shade trees.
Of interest, the funds necessary to build the school were raised by a dance in the Billiard saloon of the N.R. Prince building, which still stands today just a little farther down the street.
The historic Altaville Schoolhouse is located at 125 N. Main Street. It is part of Angels Camp Museum. To learn more, check out angelscamp.gov