The Blackberry Inn Bed and Breakfast continues a long tradition of unmatched hospitality dating back from the 1870's when Alva and Johannah Hamilton ran Hamilton's Station, the original stage coach stop at the same location. The inn is known internationally for its numerous and varied population of hummingbirds and is rated #1 on Trip Adviser for the Yosemite National Park area and #2 in the state of California.
The Inn is surrounded on three sides by the Stanislaus National Forest and hundreds of miles of trails and roads. The first crude lodging facility was built at this location in 1874 by the Hamiltons and known as Hamilton's Station. It opened for business when the Big Oak Flat turnpike/toll road was pushed through toward Yosemite Valley in the early 1870s. The lean-to milk house stood under a large black oak and over an icy spring which provided a sort of cooling system for the food. Cream at Hamilton's flowed smoothly from a pitcher and dissolved instead of rising in chunks to the top of one's coffee as was the case of the unrefrigerated cream of the period.
One habitual traveler of that time wrote, "I could enjoy a meal there as well as at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco." Modern day travelers have written, "We stayed in the new Brameberry room, and were wowed by the attention to detail, the comfortable combination of new and old decor, the cleanliness, the sumptuous bed, the wide array of tea and delicious cookies, and the amazing bathroom with a walk-in shower." Others have written, "Having started our honeymoon in Vegas it was always going to be tough to beat our suite at the Encore hotel, but the Blackberry Inn more than matched it if in a very different way. The suite is really beautiful and lovingly thought out, from the king size bed, large Jacuzzi style tub and spacious shower cubicle for two to the reclining armchairs and mock log fire heater."
Hamilton's Station was renamed Buck Meadows in 1915. There was a post office operating there from 1915-1925.