This historic building, construction of which was begun in 1853 and completed in 1856, is the oldest church of Protestant denomination in California. Built as a Methodist - Episcopal place of worship, the church today is home to the United Methodist congregation of Downieville. The construction of this building was organized under the leadership of Rev. H. Ewart.
The church's original 1856 bell continues to call worshipers to the Sunday services.