El Dorado, originally known as Mud Springs, was an important camp on the old Carson Emigrant Trail. It became a mining center and crossroads for stagecoaches and travelers, and later, a freight point. It was remount station of the Central Overland Express in 1860-61. The town was named Mud Springs for the sludge produced by the hooves of cattle and horses at a watering point.
At the height of the rush its large gold production supported a population of several thousand. Gold diggings were at Loafer's Hollow, Deadman's Hollow, Slate Creek, Empire Ravine, Dry Creek, and Missouri Flat. The first post office was opened in 1851, and the name of the town was changed to El Dorado in 1855. A fire in 1923 left only the shell of most of the old stone and brick edifices and destroyed the Union Church, which had been erected in 1853. As of 2000, 4,096 people lived in El Dorado.
The Mud Springs marker is located at the north side of the intersection of Pleasant Valley Road and Church Street, in El Dorado.
El Dorado County
Stretching from oak-studded foothills and the shores of Folsom Lake to the western shore of Lake Tahoe, El Dorado County is probably best known for the 1848 gold discovery at Coloma. “Old Hangtown” sprang up during the Gold Rush and was later renamed Placerville. The county name comes from the mythical land rich in gold sought by Spanish explorers. The first inhabitants of El Dorado County were the Maidu and Miwok Indians, followed by miners attracted to the area by the Gold Rush.
El Dorado County was one of the original counties in California. The Pony Express Trail ran through the county approximately where Highway 50 is today, from April 3, 1860 to October 26, 1861. The first county seat was Coloma, and it was superseded by Placerville for this position in 1857. El Dorado means “the gilded one” in Spanish; a fitting name considering the mines in El Dorado County produced millions of dollars of gold.