There’s nothing like the view from Homewood Mountain Resort. Everyone – from new skiers to seasoned snowboarders – stops to marvel at the azure perfection of Tahoe’s great mirror atop Madden Triple Chair. As the pride and center of the town of Homewood, California, Homewood Mountain Resort sits a snowball’s throw from the Lake’s west shore.
Guests who visit Homewood Mountain Resort notice that many of the slopes' names are mining terms: "Miner's Delight"; "Pot O' Gold"; "Ore Car"; "Wash Pan"; and more. Homewood was alive and well during the historic 19th century gold rush of California before industry gave way to winter recreation.
In 1936, Donald Huff, a prominent farmer from Sacramento, purchased the land which would later become Homewood Mountain Resort. This included the Hotel Homewood (now the site of the Homewood Marina, adjacent to the present ski resort).
During the late 1950s, several big events occurred: plans to host the winter Olympics at Lake Tahoe were underway; and the popularity of skiing soared (nationally as well as at the Lake). With winter sports on the rise, Huff set out to build a ski area for none other than his grandchildren - and opened Homewood Mountain Resort in 1962 with one lift and an A-frame day lodge. Lift tickets on opening day were just $5! Today, Huff's grandkids still ski Homewood's slopes, as do his great-grandchildren.
In addition to Homewood's daily skiing and snowboarding during winter, guests may access 15 kilometers of the original 1960 Olympic nordic ski trails, which were recently restored. The original trails can be found adjacent to Homewood's South Lodge.