A Downieville landmark since 1858, Immaculate Conception Catholic Church is the second Roman Catholic place of worship built in this gold rush town. The Church helped to serve a bustling community of 5,000 people during its heyday. This venerable building continues in use with weekly worship services every Sunday at 11:30 am. A tolling of the building's historic bell calls worshipers to service.
This present structure replaced Downieville's first Roman Catholic Church that was built in 1852 and was destroyed by fire on New Year's Day of 1858. Father Thomas Dalton oversaw the building of the original parish church, and Father Charles Delahunty oversaw the construction of the present church. The beautiful stained glass in the present church were removed from historic St. Patrick's Parish in Grass Valley and relocated to Downieville some decades ago. This place of worship is fittingly located on Church Street.