This pioneer church building may be the last of its era in the western United States. It was established first as a mission in the mining township called, Fresno Flats (now Oakhurst) by missionary Rev. D. O. Kelley in 1886.
It was built and consecrated Christ Church in 1894 by Rev. James S. McCowan of the Episcopal Dioscese of San Francisco. Built by volunteer labor and donated funds, it was the first church in eastern Madera County and served as the only house of worship for nearly half a century.
In 1957, the Coarsegold Grandmothers Club pressured residents to rescue the building from its land-locked hilltop. It was moved to the Oakhill Cemetery where it has been designated a California Point of Historical Interest (MAD-007).
During the years 1991-2004, the building was restored to it's original simple beauty of 100 years ago. Services to commemorate Memorial Day and Veteran's Day are held annually. Several other memorial and religious observances are held throughout the year.