The Markleeville School House, also known as the Old Webster School House, is a California Historic Point of Interest and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
The school was built by the local Markleeville residents in 1882 and was in use until 1929. The new Webster School House was designed by famous Nevada architect Frederic Joseph Delongchamps, who also designed the Alpine County Courthouse.
The school was restored in 1966 by the Alpine County Historical Society to save it from being destructed. A plaque for the schoolhouse was dedicated on September 17, 1966 and re-dedicated on September 15, 1979 by Snow-Shoe Thomson Chapter No. 1827 of E. Clampus Vitus. It is now part of the Alpine County Historical Complex in Markleeville.
The Old Webster Schoolhouse is located at 135 School Street, off of Montgomery Street in Markleeville.
High in the Sierra along the Nevada border, Alpine County is sparsely populated, and is in fact the least populated county in California. Situated between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park, Alpine County is a destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to get away from the crowds. Grover Hot Springs State Park is in Alpine County, and parts of the El Dorado National Forest, Stanislaus National Forest, and Toiyabe National Forest are within Alpine County. In 1844, John C. Freemont’s expedition, accompanied by Kit Carson, passed through the area and over today’s Carson Pass. The Overland Emigrant Trail passed through this county, and is marked today by yellow painted iron markers and plaques. Markleeville is the County seat.