The New Webster School House (also known as the Webster School) in Markleeville replaced the Old Webster School House in 1929. It was designed by famous Nevada architect Frederic Joseph Delongchamps, who also designed the Alpine County Courthouse. The building is constructed with stonework built around the wooden frame. The stone is made from rhyolite tuff, quarried from nearby Silver Mountain City. The Courthouse is made from the same material.
The New Webster School House was in use until 1950 and served grades 1-8. Since it ceased to be a school, it has served as a justice court, museum, community hall, county library, and the county health department. The building was registered as a state Historic Point of Interest on February 14, 1992. A plaque was dedicated by the Grand Parlor Native Sons of the Golden West on August 14, 1999. Today it is a library.
Nearby historic sites are the Alpine County Courthouse, the Old Log Jail, the Alpine Hotel, and the Alpine County Historical Complex. The New Webster School House is located at the intersection of Montgomery Street and Laramie Street in Markleeville.
High in the Sierra along the Nevada border, Alpine County is sparsely populated, and is in fact the least populated county in California. Situated between Lake Tahoe and Yosemite National Park, Alpine County is a destination for outdoor enthusiasts looking to get away from the crowds. Grover Hot Springs State Park is in Alpine County, and parts of the El Dorado National Forest, Stanislaus National Forest, and Toiyabe National Forest are within Alpine County. In 1844, John C. Freemont’s expedition, accompanied by Kit Carson, passed through the area and over today’s Carson Pass. The Overland Emigrant Trail passed through this county, and is marked today by yellow painted iron markers and plaques. Markleeville is the County seat.