The Carson City post office is the second oldest Federal Building in the State. It was constructed from 1888 to 1891, and once housed the Post Office, Land Office, Weather Bureau, and US District Court. The building also includes Carson City's only Clock Tower. The building was designed by M.E. Bell; it is the singular example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture.
About this Establishment
The exterior of the large, beautiful brick building has remained largely unchanged since it opened over a hundred years ago. The building has undergone modifications over its history such as modern restrooms, a larger lobby, and the installation of Carson City's first elevator. After the Post Office was relocated, the building's interior was renovated and the clock tower was restored. It housed the State Library for a time period before becoming the home of the Commission on Tourism and Nevada Magazine.