The Placerville Museum is located in the historic Fountain and Tallman Soda Works Building, one of the oldest buildings in Placerville. Constructed in 1852 of stone and other local materials, the building was the site of a soda works, also known as a bottling factory where fresh water from a spring located behind the building was bottled and sold to the early residents and miners.
The Museum's first floor displays are dedicated to 1850s Placerville history when it was a gold rush town with miners' tools and photographs on display. There is also a display of early fire fighting equipment, Snowshoe Thompson's skis, and a piece of the hanging tree - from which Placerville's nickname of "Hangtown" derived. On the second floor, the Museum displays highlight some of the history of the businesses downtown, such as Pacific Gas and Electric ownership of the building, a Hangtown Band drum, an early jeweler's lathe, a uniform from Placerville's winning Bartlett Baseball team, and furnishings belonging to the Tracy family.