In the early 1850s the newsstand was opened as the Davis and Roy News Depot. In 1855 and 1856 the town of Placerville experienced two major fires. These fires destroyed most of the structures including the newsstand. Mr. Davis and Mr. Roy rebuilt the newsstand and in 1856 the Davis and Roy News Depot was opened for business once again.
In 1898 Mr. Shelly Inch added the second floor, embellishing the building with a Cast Iron and Stamped Tin facade manufactured by the Mesker Brothers Iron Works of St. Louis, Missouri. This style facade is one of the few left in the United States as most of them were torn down and the metal recycled. In 1912 the current owner’s great grandmother purchased the business which she operated until the early 1950s. Her son, George Duffey, operated the store from the 1950's until his passing in 1998. George was and still is a legendary figure in Placerville History, known and loved by the community.