The Schoolhouse Gallery, located in the historic California Gold Rush town of Sierra City, is home to nationally recognized local artists and some of the best fine art in the Sierra Nevada.
The original one room schoolhouse opened in 1868 by Mrs. Scott and then later expanded with an elementary side in 1915. In the winter of 1951-52 the children were sent home due to a power outage and later that day an avalanche from the Sierra Buttes crashed through the front of the schoolhouse leaving 7 feet of snow. After this third and final avalanche they decided to send the kids down to Downieville.
The vacant building was then bought by Don Nelson who opened the Sierra Tool Rental. Ray and Lucy Prince later bought the building in 1973 and ran the Buttes View Supply until 1985, after which they retired and lived the rest of there lives there. After Ray Prince passed away in the summer of 2009, the family not knowing what to do with the building, let it sit until local artists asked if it would be possible to make the building into an art gallery. The daughter and grandson of Ray and Lucy started renovation on June 1, 2010 and had their grand opening on July 4th that year.
The gallery highlights local artists who focus on the beautiful Sierra Nevada mountain range. Works by many award winning photographers along with a professional stained glass artist, a renowned quilter and impressive oil painters can be found in the Schoolhouse Gallery.