Construction of St Joseph's Catholic Church began in 1862 on a little hill overlooking the south end on Bullion Street. Its design and typical New England steeple makes St Joseph's one of the most photographed and familiar landmarks in Mariposa.
The land for the church was donated R.S. Miller and Alex Deering, who were operating the Mariposa Mine located directly behind the church. The church was dedicated by Archbishop Joseph Sadoc Alemany on January 18, 1863 and is still in use today.
St. Joseph's was the first permanent Catholic church in Mariposa County. Prior to its construction,Catholic priests saw to the miners' spiritual needs wherever they could find a meeting room, or temporary churches (tents). The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places #91000424. St. Joseph's is located on a hill overlooking Hwy 49 South, from Hwy 140 the church maybe seen on the downhill approach into Mariposa.