The Swan Levine House plays significantly into the history of Nevada County. It was built in 1867 by John and Catherine Fahey, who were partners in the Alison Ranch Mine. They sold it to William Campbell, a local merchant who made his fortune selling mining equipment. Campbell remodeled the house in 1895 after a fire to its present Queen Anne style. After his death, the house was acquired by brothers, Doctors Carl and John Jones, they opened it as a hospital and named it after their father, Dr. W.C. Jones.
The inn keepers, Howard and Margaret (Peggy) have degrees in Fine Art Printmaking. Howard teaches drawing and printmaking locally for Sierra College, and is the Executive Director of the Grass Valley Downtown Association. Both are active in the community and serve on local arts boards.
Howard Levine and Margaret Warner Swan purchased the house after the hospital closed; renovating it as a guest house with a focus on their interest in visual arts and printmaking. The fine art of printmaking is illustrated by their extensive collection of art throughout the house.