The Davies Family Inn, located five miles east of the Gold Rush Town of Placerville, rests deep in the heart of the Motherlode on the old stage route to “Newtown”. The rustic elegance of this mid-1800s era log cabin homestead has been preserved and enhanced by the Davies family to promote the look and feel of frontier living with the convenience of modern times. The beauty of this setting speaks softly of a revitalizing tranquility, unique in our fast paced world.
Play in the surrounding forests, lakes and streams, take a picnic to Apple Hill or visit local vineyards to taste fine wines.There are over 60 vineyards and wineries in El Dorado County. The inn is situated between the wine regions of Apple Hill and Fairplay and right next to Pleasant Valley wineries like Narrow Gate, Sierra Vista, Holly's Hill and Mira Flores.
Bed and Breakfast Style
The four cabins are rustic and have maintained as much original detail and charm as possible. Descriptions and sizes of cabins are available on the website.
Breakfast Style Served
Full and Hearty Breakfast
Range of Rates
$135-$175 depending on season and availability
Locally or Family Owned Business Notes
The Davies Family Inn is at Shadowridge Ranch, the original homestead of the Raffetto family who owned a little store down the road in Newtown or Sunny Italy, as the Italians liked to call it. There they sold produce and goods, that they raised and made on the ranch, to the gold miners.
The homestead was alive with miners, weary travelers and Italian friends reminiscing about the "old country" or telling of their latest gold strike. There were Bocci Ball courts, story telling, wine making, an occasional Indian scare and of course the bandits and highwaymen like the notorious Black Bart. Yet the grandest sight of all was the Wells Fargo concord Stage Coach, flying by with the fury of thundering hooves, carrying the gold to the Sacramento banks!
In 1919, Charles and Matilda (Tilly) Carpenter, purchased the ranch for a staggering $2,000 which took them years to pay off! Some of the buildings were destroyed by fire, so Charles began rebuilding them. Using timber from the ranch, each log was felled by hand, skidded with a team of horses, hewn by hand, winched into position and chinked with local clay. Charles then travelled by horse and wagon to San Francisco where he salvaged doors, windows and flooring from the 1915 Panama Exposition World's Fair. Most are still intact and can be seen today in the cabins.
Since there was little money for decorating, Tilly set about planting her famous flower gardens. By the mid 1920s her garden had become so large and colorful, people from all over the county would travel the old dusty road just to glimpse the magnificent waves of colors, shapes, and fragrances. Today the gardens have been carefully restored and enlarged for your pleasure and enjoyment.
Pet Friendly Notes
Sorry, not pets please.