Formerly the Weimar Institute, the Weimar Center of Health and Education is a health and educational facility on a 457-acre campus near Weimar in mid-Placer County, "above the fog and below the snow" at an elevation of approximately 2,200 feet.
What is now the Center originally opened as a small tuberculosis sanitorium in 1919. Six California counties formed a consortium in 1917, and chose Weimar as one of just five ideal locations in the United States for TB treatment and recovery.
The Weimar Joint Sanatorium, with additional facilities, was opened in 1924. Supported by 15 California counties, it became one of the largest TB treatment centers in the United States.
In 1957 the institution changed to the Weimar Chest Center, treating other pulmonary diseases. In 1960 it was renamed Weimar Medical Center, which developed into a general community hospital in 1966. Due to budget cuts, the hospital closed in 1972. At its peak, it was the biggest employer in Placer County, with up to 550 patients and a staff of 350 at its peak [Mike Dunne, Sacramento Bee, Jan. 7, 2010].
In 1975, the institution became Hope Village, a temporary relocation center for Vietnamese refugees. In 1977, the property was purchased by a group of Seventh-day Adventists.
Today the Weimar Center operates the NEWSTART Lifestyle Program, originally begun in 1978. According to the Center, thousands of patients entering the program have overcome pulmonary and other afflictions, with a combination of diet, exercise, fresh air, and tenets of the Seventh-day Adventist church.
In addition to the medical clinic, the campus is home to Weimar College (opened in 1978) and Weimar Academy (1981), a four year boarding high school.
Campus industries include the NEWSTART bakery, the Weimar Market, Weimar Gardens, the Weimar Inn, and Weimar Country Cafeteria.
All of the services, plus the nearly 450 nature preserve with 10 miles of hiking trails are available to the public.