In February of 1948 after two very historically minded women, Patsy McMahon and Marie Rozier, had collected pictures and artifacts of Tuolumne Township, they located and opened the first Tuolumne Museum at the corner of Pine Street and Chestnut Avenue in the old Tuolumne Telephone Company building.
By 1950 a larger building was necessary. Thus, they sought help of the Tuolumne City Progressive Association and they agreed to sponser the Tuolumne City Memorial Museum. With the leadership of Ernest Muller Sr., a log cabin was built in Tuolumne Park and opened February 28, 1951.
During 1970, due to the deterioration of the cabin, all articles were moved for storage in the new Tuolumne Telephone Company warehouse, courtesy of John Wise. By 1974, Hugh and Dorothy Kellogg were instrumental in relocating the museum in the West Side Lumber Company building on Main Street until the West Side Park needed the space, and again, all was packed up and stored in member’s homes to wait for a permanent museum home.
A new organization was formed in 1976 called the “Tuolumne City Memorial Museum” and in 1978 it was incorporated. Finally, in May of 1981 the Tuolumne Women’s Improvement Club gift-deeded their property to the museum. On April 12, 1982, the “go ahead” was given to reconstruct the building with Don Grover as the Architect and John Feriani as the contractor with many volunteers. The over-all planning for the inside, including rooms and displays, was organized with the leadership of Eve Pecchenino. By Christmas of 1984 with two wings added, a celebration was held for the museum.
Thus, the dreams of Patsy McMahon and Marie Rozier had come true.
The Museum is located at 18663 Carter Street at the Corner of Carter and Bay in Tuolumne City, of course!